Call for Bids: TEI Members Meeting and Conference, 2013
Deadline: September 15, 2012
The annual TEI Members’ Meeting and Conference takes place every year in late October or early November. We are now seeking bids to host this event in 2013.
The meeting this year (2012) will take place on November 6-8 at Texas A&M University (US): http://idhmc.tamu.edu/teiconference. Previous meetings have included the following:
- University of Würzburg, 10-16 October, 2011 Hosted by the University of Würzburg.
- College Park, Maryland, USA, October 31-November 3, 2008. Hosted by the University of Maryland, College Park.
- Victoria, Canada, October 27-28, 2006. Hosted by the University of Victoria.
- Sophia, Bulgaria, October 28-29, 2005. Hosted by the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences.
- Baltimore, USA, October 22-23, 2004. Hosted by Johns Hopkins University.
- Nancy, France, November 7-8 2003. Hosted by ATILF.
- Chicago, USA, October 11-12 2002. Hosted by the Newberry Library and Northwestern University.
- Pisa, Italy, November 16-17 2001. Hosted by the University of Pisa.
The site of the meeting has typically alternated between Europe and North America, but this is not a fixed rule and exceptions have occurred. We also welcome proposals from other parts of the world, and in particular from areas where new TEI communities are arising. Preference is given to bids from institutions that are easily accessible to the bulk of our membership.
The meeting format has expanded in recent years to include a conference-style component. Typically this means a three day event with possibilities for pre-and/or post-conference workshops. The host also arranges space for a meeting of the Consortium Board after the conference and members’ meeting.
At this year’s meeting, we will be running eight sessions of refereed papers, two keynote presentations, and a number of posters. The meeting will also host the Consortium’s business meeting and full day workshops for Special Interest Groups. The Consortium Board meets on the Sunday following the meeting. In previous years we have also had pre-conference workshops. Attendance for the last two years has been between 100 and 150. Bids should plan on a similar general format and size, though hosts are free to innovate in consultation with the Consortium.
The TEI Consortium provides some funding to cover the costs of its meeting. Additional costs are usually covered by the host and efforts to locate external sponsorships. Such additional costs commonly include room rental, refreshments, one or more receptions, conference bag or mug, and costs associated with Plenary Speakers. The total budget of the meeting varies from year to year depending on local conditions.
Bids should be sent to Elena Pierazzo (firstname.lastname@example.org) by September 15, 2012, and should include the following information:
- The name of the institution(s) making the bid
- The name, address, email, and telephone number of the contact person
- A brief description of the facilities available for the event (rooms, equipment, technical support, food)
- An indication of what financial support, if any, the hosting institution is prepared to give (for instance, sponsoring one or more receptions or pre-meeting workshops; payment of travel expenses for one or more plenary speakers; etc.)
- Any other details that may be useful in assessing the bid (e.g. the presence of a conference on a related topic at the institution around the time of the meeting; the launch of a new TEI-related initiative at the institution, etc.).
Institutions considering a bid are encouraged to contact the Consortium
to discuss their ideas. The consortium chair is Elena Pierazzo;
other members of this year’s meeting program committee are
Welzenbach, Martin Mueller, James Cummings, Arianna Ciula,
Marjorie Burghart, and Laura Mandell.
All bids will be reviewed by the TEI board, which makes the final
Thank you very much!
Professor of English
Director, Initiative for Digital Humanities, Media, and Culture
Texas A&M University
237 Blocker, MS 4227
College Station, TX 77843-4227
FAX: (979) 826-2292